Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Oy, Vey!

I don't mean any disrespect with this title, but I know that whomever reads it would know that we visited the Jewish Quarter today.  We decided on a self-guided audio tour being offered by the local Jewish Museum society.  We walked through three synagogues, an ancient cemetery, a Ceremonial Hall (where they prepared the dead for burial), and what used to be the Jewish ghetto.  Unfortunately, we were limited in our picture taking because cameras were not allowed inside.

It was a fascinating tour of Jewish history in Prague, probably not unlike the devastating history of the Jews in many eastern European countries.  It just gives you the chills...

We followed up this tour with lunch at a pizzeria on what I called the "Rodeo Drive" of Prague (Gucci, Prada, and Tag Hauer shops lined the street).  Good pizza, a Czech beer and we were happy, happy again.

We walked back to Old Town Square and decided to visit yet another church, Our Lady of Tyn.  There must have been a contest back in the 13th century challenging various architects and designers on who could build the most elaborate, ornate, and yet beautiful church!  Again, we were not allowed to photograph inside the church but, take my word for it, the altar and chapels were breath-takingly beautiful.

We took some time to purchase a few Czech mementos and Linda and I enjoyed our first Czech absinthe; not a drink you'd want to have too many of.  I think I grew some chest hairs!

While I nursed my angry knee, Linda, Julieanne and Christopher walked across the St. Charles bridge and had dinner at Cervenova Restaurant where they reported a grand view of the city.

Tomorrow we fly to Paris to join the rest of the Broads Abroad so we must get our beauty sleep.  Signing off for now, I bid you good night and sweet dreams.




Big Broad

No comments:

Post a Comment