Sunday, September 11, 2011

Disneyland Part Deux

Bon soir! Yes it's me again, the BBB, writing a new piece about our past two days in Paris. On Saturday, the seven of us leisurely made our way to Notre Dame where we met our friends from Germany, Magda and Barbara. The line was long but was moving rather quickly; each of us was taking one picture after the other perhaps in hopes that the digital image would better describe the reality in front of us.


We were told that it took 200 years to make this cathedral; and, wow, was it worth every second! I was afraid to ask how much it cost; I don't think I can count that high anyway.


As we entered the famed and mammoth building, it was immediately apparent that this was not your average, run-of-the-mill, medieval church. First, we could hear angels singing (ok, maybe I exaggerate a little, it was music from a CD being piped in through some very modern speakers but it sounded like angels to me).


I am not too proud to admit that after a while, I was on sensory overload and a when I came upon the oldest statue of the Virgin Mary and her Baby Jesus, one or two tears escaped from my eyes. It was a magnificent piece. I tried to recover enough to enjoy the rest of the beautiful art that is housed there and there is much. We were told that THE Crown of Thorns resides at this church. We didn't get to see it because they only bring it out on special occasions; I guess Rome didn't get word we were headed this way... maybe next time.


In front of the church building there is a round marker that designates the center of all France. It is said that all distances are measured from here. Why?


I know I've said this before, so I won't say it again...

After much picture taking and blubbering we left Notre Dame and split up into smaller groups. Our group decided our next destination would be the Louvre. Note to self: when you are looking at a map and the place you want to reach looks like it's just a couple of blocks away, it isn't. We walked and stopped and walked and stopped and walked even more.





Needless to say, we were exhausted and hurting and thirsty but we got there. First impression? Huge. Second impression? Even bigger than we thought; the place goes on forever.


Do the French know how to make anything small? No matter, we got to see some beautiful Renaissance paintings and the Lady herself.


We caught a taxi for home (the apartment) and relaxed for a few hours in preparation for our night out in celebration of Linda's birthday. Bon anniversaire, notre amie! Grand dejeuner, grand vin and all is right with the world.



Location:Rue du Champ de Mars,Paris,France

No comments:

Post a Comment